"Whatever we think about and thank about, we bring about." Dr John Demartini

Thursday, August 14, 2014

My Paper Bag Art Journal : Lessons from a Dragonfly

This is actually my 4th page of my art journal, but I could not find my photos and posted page 5 instead. 

After searching for hours, I realised that I have lost all my photo's for this project, so only a photo of the finished art journal page :-(

This page was inspired by one of the techniques taught by Tim Holtz during a teacher’s class I attended recently. 
Then there is this beautiful poem Lessons from a Dragonfly by Ruth O'Neill . 

I wanted to do the same technique and thought this poem would emphasise my dragonfly theme I wanted to use.

Here is what I came up with:


I used watercolour paper as I intend to include one or two watercolour pages to my paper bag art journal.
The stamps I used, are from Great Impressions, a South African based manufacturer. 
I stamped the dragonfly image on the right side with Ranger Archival Ink : Jet Black and coloured it with Distress Markers and a water brush. 
The other stamp I used on the left side, has the same pattern as the background of the dragonfly stamp.
I coloured the rest of the paper with Distress Inks Walnut Stain and Fired Brick.
Then I used the Tim Holtz® Distress Marker Spritzer and Fired Brick Distress Marker to spritz all over the page.

Next I used a watermark embossing pen to 'glue' the small dragonfly postage stamp (coloured green) and embossed it with clear UTE.

The chipboard dragonflies are white board embellishments from Enmarc Crafts : Nature Elements - Dragonflies.
I coloured the dragonflies with Distress Markers too and when it was dry, I added Diamond Stickles to the wings and left it to dry completely. 
Then added rhinestones to the wings and painted the dragonflies with Distress Crackle Paint Clear Rock Candy.

When the dragonflies were dry, I pasted it onto the background and added shadows.

I did not have enough space on the background for the complete poem and used only excerpts of it. I used a uni-ball black pen to do the writing.
Here is the full poem:

Lessons from a Dragonfly

A dragonfly accepts it’s brevity of life 
With its gossamer wings feeling the breeze
Full of freedom it watches our joy and our strife
Its wisdom learned flitting from water to air to trees
With wings that shimmer showing purpose and duty 
Obedient to all of life’s changes in flight
Modestly it shows us its outer beauty 
Always gracious, mindful and full of delight
So whether what life gives you is good, bad, or sad
Show others that inner beauty counts and matters
Make your actions amount to many smiles and be glad
For the dragonfly knows it lives a brief life this way 
So I learn from this creature to live wisely each day
And make every minute special to those that you love
As the dragonfly watches our actions from above

~Ruth O'Neil


Lastly I added trails behind the dragonflies with a Marabu Fun Liner Glitter : Reddish Gold.




  Nature Elements : Dragonflies


Thank you for stopping by and your comments will be much appreciated :-)

No comments: